The Mint building is located in a small industrial area of Muldenhutten, about 3 kms. from Freiberg.
The Muldenhutten Mint struck coins from 1887 until 1953 with the "E" mintmark. The mint building still stands today, but has been abandoned for years and is in very poor condition. It has some legal protection from being torn down since it is a historic building, but without funding from its other sources, it is doomed to crumble to the ground. It is in an industrial area which for many years has been a processing center for lead, and is in the shadow of a plant which today recycles car batteries, so the area most likely poses certain health risks. The building is located next to a river which probably provided energy for a turbine which would have powered the machinery.
Front of the building, looking north.
View looking south showing the mint in a cluster of other industrial
buildings, some currently being used.
View of the northern facade, or rear of the building.
Detail of the northern facade, or rear of the building. The aluminum parts
company which owns the Mint and the surrounding property has constructed
a modern prefabricated warehouse immediately adjacent to the north facade of the Mint.
View of the western facade of the Mint, facing the river, with the modern
prefabricated structure to the left.
South-west corner of the Mint, with the river below.
View of the Mint with the smokestacks of the battery
recycling plant in the background.
Interior of the Mint. The two holes on the upper part of the wall are where
the driveshafts which powered the machinery were located. Also visible
is the mark of over 2 meters in height left on the wall several years earlier
when the nearby river flooded.
The doors in some of the rooms are metal, probably for security purposes.
FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION © 2009