FIRST MINT LOCATION 1454 - 1497
The approximate location of the old hammer mint is outlined in yellow on the map above. This mint was closed in 1497since it was not one of the six mints authorized to remain open after that date.
Documents explain that this mint was located near the corner of today's San Benito and Doctor Cazalla (previously Calle de la Moneda, Coin Street), Streets. The mint building no longer exists.
View of the corner of San Benito (starting at center), and Doctor Cazalla Streets (towards left and right), with San Benito Church on the right.
SECOND MINT LOCATION 1568 - 1686
The second hammer mint was located about 400 meters from the previous mint location, on San Lorenzo Street.
Valladolid had requested its own mint since
1555 and obtained the privilege in 1559, but this new hammer mint was not
founded until 1568 when King Philip II established it shortly after moving the
capital of Spain from Valladolid to Madrid, seemingly in compensation for having
moved the residence of the Court and Royal Family from this city. This Mint struck coins,
always by the hammer method, until 1686. The building no longer exists.
View looking north on San Lorenzo Street, with the tower of the San Lorenzo church, which no longer exists, on the left. The mint was located just following the brick building on the left.
View of San Lorenzo Street, from Plaza del Poniente, looking south. The Mint was located where the building with the red wall, on the right, is located today.
THIRD MINT LOCATION 1662 - 1664
The third mint location was in the approximate area where we have outlined in yellow, near the corner of General Ruiz and Panaderos Streets.
This mint was built in 1661 and only
struck coins from 1662 until 1664, when it was decommissioned. This was a
mechanized factroy with horse-driven roller mills. The
building no longer exists.
View of Panaderos street, looking south.
View of the corner of General Ruiz (on right) and Panaderos (looking forward and towards the north) Streets.
FRIENDS OF THE SEGOVIA MINT ASSOCIATION © 2009